June 18, 2015

New Work – In Dreams I Learned to Swim

In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno
At last, the reveal of my latest work, In Dreams I Learned to SwimIn Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, detail 1
It’s a large quilt, at 60” high x 80” wide, so it has a lot of presence when seen in person.  For anyone living or traveling near Harrisburg, PA this summer, you can see it in a marvelous setting at the State Museum of Pennsylvania.  It’s part of the prestigious Art of the State exhibit, opening on June 28th and running through September 13th.    It’s an all-media show, and I’m very pleased to be a part of it again this year.
In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, detail 2
This work incorporates needlefelting with silk and wool on a separate, attached panel.In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, detail 3
I made collagraph plates and printed them in a variety of colorways for the surrounding quilt.In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, detail 4
The borders are also handpainted, and the entire work is heavily stitched to add texture and movement.In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, detail 5
I hope you have enjoyed following along as I detailed this work in progress—you can review it by clicking “In Dreams I Learned to Swim” on the right sidebar, or by clicking here.

As always, thank you for reading and commenting.

4 comments:

allie aller said...

How I would love to stand in front of this and dive into its presence!

KAM said...

Sue, I have truly enjoyed seeing the "parts" of this wonderful piece as you presented them on the blog. The total impact of the completed piece is amazing and will surely bring appreciation from all who see it in the up-coming exhibition. Kudos for the completion of yet another beautiful work in fiber. This is truly a fine work of art.
Kristin

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Gorgeous work, and a fascinating process. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Reno said...

Thanks for all the kind words! This one was a challenge and a pleasure to create, and I'm so happy to finally share it.