June 15, 2015

Work in Progress – In Dreams I Learned to Swim, Update 2

In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 4

While I was working on the needlefelted center panel, I was also devising the prints that would make up the supporting quilt.  I gathered a lot of bits and pieces and glued them onto mat board to make collagraph plates.  In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 5

My main focus for the plates was to capture the movement of the Susquehanna River through the surrounding landscape of wooded hills and farmland. In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 6

Next I layered the felted panel with batting and a thin backing, and did a lot of freemotion quilting on it, to add further definition and movement.  On top of that I added some wisps of Angelina fiber and felted them down, to add shimmer where appropriate.  In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 7 And here is the back at this point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these posts that give a glimpse into your thought process, as well as your creative and technical processes. I also love that you sent me down a rabbit hole of new info: collagraphs.

Sue Reno said...

Thanks Paula! It's a pretty deep rabbit hole, enjoy the journey!